DUU reviews future programming events

Duke University Union members discuss potential programing events Tuesday evening, including pre-game festivities for the Blue-White scrimmage and a rave party on West Campus in the Spring.

Duke University Union discussed a variety of programming events for the coming year at its weekly meeting Tuesday night.

DUU plans to hold its first annual Thanksgiving dinner in the Great Hall the week before Thanksgiving Break. It is meant to be an opportunity for students to mingle and interact with faculty members and the administration, said DUU Special Projects Director Christie Falco, a senior.  She added that the event will be “family style and fun.”

Falco said DUU is also looking into hosting a possible rave or dance party on West Campus during the first week of the Spring semester. Members discussed the possibility of procuring a big-name DJ to attract students to the event. DUU also began the planning process for the Southern-themed Duke Royale, held annually at the Sarah P. Duke Gardens. The event will take place April 2 this year.

Members also discussed logistics for this Friday’s performance by indie pop duo Matt and Kim and the success of DUU’s promotional video for the event on Facebook and Twitter. The free concert will begin at 9:30 p.m. in Krzyzewskiville, immediately following the Blue-White scrimmage. The performance will be part of Countdown to Craziness, an event sponsored by the Duke Army Reserve Officer Training Corps. DUU will be filming this Friday’s Countdown to Craziness.

In addition, DUU has secured a number of speakers for the remainder of the semester. Christian Lander, author of “Stuff White People Like,” will be speaking Oct. 27, relationships expert David Coleman is slated to speak Oct. 28 and Duke will host German politician Vera Langfeld Nov. 2. Middle Eastern poet Dunya Mikhail, who was once on Saddam Hussein’s most wanted list, will be speaking in Von Canon in the Bryan Center Nov. 5.

In other business:

DUU members also spoke of using new media to reach students—the student organization has established its own spaces on Facebook, Twitter, Flickr and YouTube. The Web sites also help DUU keep better records and archives, members said. For example, Flickr’s unlimited storage will permit DUU to upload all the stock images from their events. DUU also recently launched a new Web site at duu.dukegroups.duke.edu.

The Marketing Committee also mentioned finalizing an online marketing Web site for DUU, which could be launched in the near future.

Correction: The above article incorrectly described an upcoming event. Christian Lander will speak Oct. 27 in Page Auditorium. The article has been changed to reflect this change. The Chronicle regrets the error.

Share and discuss “DUU reviews future programming events” on social media.