Duke Habitat for Humanity breaks ground

While their fellow students slept late Saturday morning, Duke student volunteers were building a house—a duplex, to be exact.  Duke Habitat for Humanity, a student-run chapter of Habitat for Humanity International, began construction on its first house of the year Saturday. The group is working in conjunction with its local affiliate, Habitat for Humanity of Durham, along with other sponsors and volunteers to provide housing to two Durham residents. Junior Lauren Kottis, co-president of Duke Habitat said the organization co-sponsors a house with Durham Habitat and the Duke Office for Community Affairs every other year. “Everyone deserves a safe, decent, affordable home to live in,” said Roxanne Little, associate director for development for Durham Habitat. Construction began at 8 a.m. at a site on the corner of Carroll Street and Morehead Avenue, near East Campus. Volunteers worked throughout the day, with a break for lunch and the kickoff ceremony. By the end of the day, Duke students, Durham residents, the prospective homeowners and others had built the framework of the duplex. Freshman Liza Brown-Pinsky, who has been working with Habitat chapters since she was a freshman in high school, said she was pleased with the day’s work. She said the process of the project as well the final product are beneficial to all involved. “It improves the quality of the community,” she said. “You don’t realize how much until it’s done,” Brown-Pinsky said. During this ceremony, Michael Kelly, one of the prospective homeowners, spoke of his transition from homelessness to homeownership. Kelly works for Housing for New Hope, a non-profit organization designed to help end homelessness. He said his colleagues encouraged him to apply for a home, though he had doubts of being accepted. Now that his application is becoming a reality, he says he is “very happy—ecstatic.” The other half of the duplex will go to Shirley Emerson, who has been a Duke University Health System employee for 13 years. “Duke is part of the family. It’s really great that they’re my sponsors,” Emerson said. “I think the whole program is great.” Habitat’s general mission statement promises such housing for purchase by selected applicants who will be charged zero percent interest on their mortgage. Little said the money paid for Habitat home mortgages is used to fund the construction of future Habitat houses. In addition to mortgage money, Habitat projects receive financial support from several organizations. Among the sponsors and supporters of this newest house are the Duke Office of Community Affairs, the Congregation at Duke Chapel, State Farm Insurance and Garman Homes.  But Habitat builds more than just homes. Kottis said that forming new bonds with the mix of volunteers is one of the rewards of working with Habitat. “The relationships are what make it worth it,” she said. “Every time I come out I meet someone really cool.” Senior Seth Posternak, Duke Habitat’s co-president agreed, and he emphasized the importance of using projects, like the new duplex, to foster good relations with the community.  “Duke isn’t a separate enclave from Durham,” he said. Volunteers will continue working every Saturday until the homes are complete. Habitat representatives project the duplex will be completed at the beginning of 2010.

Share and discuss “Duke Habitat for Humanity breaks ground” on social media.