DSG hears new walk-up policy

SOFC Chair David Hu, a junior, breaks out a dance to make a point during the DSG meeting Wednesday night.

Duke Student Government discussed changes to the walk-up line policy for the 2009-2010 basketball season, as well as the creation of a SOFC Reform Commission at its Wednesday night meeting.

Head Line Monitor Zach White, a senior, introduced an update to the walk-up line policy and provided senators with a formal overview of the new registration process. This season, small groups of up to six people may register with the line monitors when half of the group arrives, and large groups of 30 or more students may e-mail the Head Line Monitor eight hours in advance of tip-off to register for attendance.

These larger groups—potentially ranging from fraternities, dormitory residents or club sports teams—will also be entitled to a Residence Life and Housing Services-sanctioned grill on a first-come, first-served basis.  

White hopes that the policy’s changes will promote a more lively and exciting atmosphere among various groups of students while they are waiting in line.   

“I think the new policy will make the actual wait in line a more fun and exciting experience,” White wrote in e-mail. “Ideally, students will be grilling, listening to music, dancing and meeting people form other groups—both large and small.”

In an effort to incorporate various organizations, White said he sought input from line monitors, Duke Athletics, DSG and students. Although White said student participation at home games is not a concern, he must still work to generate a supportive environment for the basketball team.

DSG President Awa Nur, a senior, supported the changes and commended White’s effort.

Sophomore Pete Schork, vice president for athletics and campus services, submitted the update. The policy also includes a rationale for the changes, noting that in prior years, the walk-up line policy made it difficult for large groups to stand together inside Cameron Indoor Stadium. Although under the new policy, large groups will be able to stand and socialize together, groups must be present for any line checks that are called and must have at least half of the group present at all times.  

“We believe that these changes will foster a greater sense of community and fun in K-ville, further enhancing enthusiasm and support for Duke basketball,” Schork said.

Executive Vice President Gregory Morrison, a junior, approved the enhancements made to the policy, but said the most important issue discussed at the meeting was the formation of the SOFC reform commission.

“This will be the first major overhaul in the finance system in about 10 years,” Morrison said.

The Senate created the commission to identify changes that need to be made in the Duke community. The commission will present a report of recommendations to the Senate and Nur by Dec. 2.

The commission will be composed of nine DSG members, with Treasurer Sam Halls, a senior, serving as the chair. Senators elected junior Ben Bergmann, sophomore Kaveh Danesh and sophomore Daren Miller to the commission.

Morrison said this high-powered, student-driven response group will add weight to the final proposal, which he hopes will confront student group proliferation and transparency. By identifying student group opportunities on campus, DSG and SOFC will determine the accessibility of finance to those groups and distribute funds accordingly.

In other business:

DSG approved $1,100 for CourseRank, a software program that facilitates student-selection of and investigation into courses.

Vice President for Academic Affairs Cynthia Chen, a senior, recognized CourseRank as a service that demands marketing.

DSG authorized the allocation of funds for CourseRank to promote marketing. Part of the advertising outreach will include designing a banner to be displayed in front of the Bryan Center as well as launching an advertisement campaign for campus transportation. These advertisements will cost $300 and $800 respectively.   

Junior Ben Getson, a former senator, presented CourseRank on behalf of the public forum and said his goal is to get as many students as possible to use CourseRank over the next year.

Share and discuss “DSG hears new walk-up policy” on social media.