Dillo fiesta caps off Hispanic Heritage Month

<p>Students gather in the Armadillo Grill to celebrate the end of the Hispanic Heritage Month in 2016.</p>

Students gather in the Armadillo Grill to celebrate the end of the Hispanic Heritage Month in 2016.

The Armadillo Grill was transformed into a salsa dance floor Thursday night

About 40 students celebrated the end of Hispanic Heritage Month at the Mexican eatery in the Bryan Center with an evening of free food, music and dancing.

The event was planned by Mi Gente, Duke’s Latino Student Association. In addition to celebrating Hispanic traditions, Mi Gente also seeks to expose the entire Duke community to the culture through its programming.

Several members of Mi Gente expressed their desire to attract a wider swath of the Duke student body to their events.

“We’re spicing it up,” said sophomore Natalie Buck, social co-chair of Mi Gente.

Senior Catalina Blanco, co-president of Mi Gente, said the event showcased the direction Mi Gente is trying to move in.

“We’re trying to switch to the sort of event that caters to all of Duke, rather than just the Hispanic students,” Blanco said.

From the pounding beats of salsa, merengue and rhumba, to the free quesadillas and nachos, attendees of “A Night at the Dillo” were treated to a taste of Latino culture.

Students who crowded the dance floor were included members of Sabrosura, Duke’s Latin Dance Troupe.

“Since joining Sabrosura, I have the confidence to come to more and more events like this,” said freshman Courtney Liu.

Salsa veterans were not the only ones partaking in the festivities. Freshman Eric Renkor found himself in the middle of the throng, taking salsa lessons from Liu.

“This was one of the most fun events I’ve been to, regardless of my dancing abilities,” Renkor said.

Sophomore Silvana Estefan, Mi Gente’s other social chair, deemed the party a huge success.

“From the music to the people to the spicy food, this event was on fire!” she said.

Officially recognized by President Ronald Reagan in 1988, Hispanic Heritage Month, which spans from Sept. 15 to Oct. 15, celebrates Hispanic culture and recognizes the contributions of Hispanic Americans to the United States. Eight Latin-American countries celebrate their independence during this period.

Mi Gente kicked off the beginning of the monthlong period with an event on the plaza. The association also invited Guillermo Trejo Osorio, assistant professor of political science, to speak on Latin America’s racial gap Sept. 23.

Share and discuss “Dillo fiesta caps off Hispanic Heritage Month” on social media.