Blue Devils Start Season No. 12 in SI.com Power Rankings

While optimism abounds on campus about the chances of this year's Blue Devils make a run at a national championship, at least one writer has much more modest expectations for Duke this season.

SI.com's Luke Winn released his pre-season college basketball Power Rankings today, and the Blue Devils came it at No. 12.  Winn ranked Kansas his pre-season No. 1, Michigan State No. 2, Kentucky No. 5, and North Carolina No. 9.

While Winn said "the ACC is down enough this year that the Blue Devils can contend for the league title" despite depth issues at the guard position, he was much more optimistic about Duke's perspectives for the 2010-2011 campaign.

The ACC is down enough this year that the Blue Devils can contend for the league title despite those depth issues, but next season is when they can truly return to power. If Duke can land [Harrison] Barnes and No. 2-ranked point guard Kyrie Irving, who's heavily leaning their way, plus convince Kyle Singler to stay a fourth season, it could trot out this starting lineup:

PG: Kyrie Irving; SG: Seth Curry/Nolan Smith; SF: Harrison Barnes; PF: Kyle Singler; C: Mason Plumlee

... and that, folks, would be your preseason No. 1 team in 2010.

Share and discuss “Blue Devils Start Season No. 12 in SI.com Power Rankings” on social media.