Police link recent break-ins to past incidents

The six car break-ins that occurred across three campus parking lots Sept. 19 are thought to be linked to a string of break-ins March 6, said Gloria Graham, assistant chief of the Duke University Police Department.

Two female suspects and one male suspect broke into six cars across the Washington Duke Inn and Golf Club, R. David Thomas Conference Center and Parking Garage II lots Saturday and took $3,715 in valuables, according to Duke Police investigation reports.

Based on Sept. 19 and March 6 surveillance video from the R. David Thomas Conference Center lot, Duke Police believe the same suspects also broke into three cars in the same lot in March. The suspects stole $8,346.60 in March, according to investigation reports. Both the Sept. 19 and the March 6 break-ins were reported in the early evening, beginning around 5 p.m.

In the March 6 report, the suspects are described as two young, short black females and one older black male of average build. They were seen driving an “older mini van, green or dark in color,” according to the report.

After the March beak-ins, Graham said Duke Police released a safety alert asking the community to be on the lookout for the suspects and their vehicle. Graham said she hopes the Sept. 19 video might yield the suspects’ identities or license plate number. She said Duke Police plans to solicit the public’s help in identifying the suspects in the Sept. 19 video feed, but that the images are not yet ready for release.

“We are still waiting for the video,” she wrote in an e-mail. “We are at the mercy of the folks who own the equipment, unfortunately.”

Share and discuss “Police link recent break-ins to past incidents” on social media.