Duke student robbed on Campus Drive

A student was robbed at gunpoint Tuesday night, according to the Duke University Police Department.

The incident took place at approximately 9:45 p.m. when the student was walking on Campus Drive near the East Campus Steam Plant. According to Duke police, a dark, four-door vehicle pulled over and the passenger exposed a handgun, demanding the student’s backpack. The car took off on Campus Drive, driving away from East Campus. The student was not injured.

The suspect was reported to be a bald, black man of large build in his 30s wearing dark pants and a loosely fitting dark sweatshirt.

Duke University Police Department Chief John Dailey and Assistant Chief Gloria Graham could not immediately be reached for comment Tuesday night.

DUPD officials on duty Tuesday night could not provide further details.

A DukeAlert describing the incident was e-mailed to the Duke community Tuesday night at approximately 11:16 p.m. in accordance with the Clery Act. The act mandates that universities notify their communities in a timely fashion about on-campus crimes that may pose an ongoing threat.

It is currently unclear whether the student was alone at the time, though it is likely the student was, said Sue Wasiolek, dean of students and assistant vice president for student affairs. She added that she is uncertain whether DUPD will be increasing patrols in the area as a result of Tuesday’s incident.

“It’s difficult to speculate if anything like this could be prevented,” she said. “The one option that you can keep in mind is to try not to find ourselves isolated in any particular area on campus.”

The last time an armed robbery was reported on East Campus was when a junior was robbed at gunpoint July 28 behind the East Union building. Students were notified of the incident via a DukeAlert e-mail the morning of July 29.

Share and discuss “Duke student robbed on Campus Drive” on social media.