Duke looks to bounce back

Last weekend, the Blue Devils dropped a close match with one of the nation’s best teams on their own turf.

This weekend, they hope the comforts of home prove more of an advantage.

After a 3-2 loss to No. 3 Wake Forest last Saturday, No. 10 Duke returns to action tomorrow against opponents that figure to be less challenging than the Demon Deacons.

The Blue Devils (3-2) face off with unranked Longwood Saturday at 1 p.m., and take on No. 15 Old Dominion at the same time Sunday. Both games will be played at Williams Field.

Longwood, a team new to Division-I athletics, plays in the Northern Pacific Field Hockey conference despite being located in Virginia. The Lancers (2-3) have struggled so far this year, having lost to teams like Lock Haven and Lafayette at home already this season. Longwood did win its last game, against Siena in Philadelphia.

Old Dominion travels to Durham Saturday on a wretched run of results of its own despite its high ranking. The Lady Monarchs (2-4) have lost four in a row and face No. 2 North Carolina Saturday in Chapel Hill before moving across town.

Duke is still struggling with the loss of All-American defender Lauren Miller, whose hand injury has yet to fully heal. Miller could play this weekend, but in her absence, the Blue Devils have leaned on junior goalie Samantha Nelson and a collection of younger players to keep control of the game on the defensive end.

Share and discuss “Duke looks to bounce back” on social media.