DSG elects six to SOFC, reviews art on campus

Six candidates have been elected to the Student Organization Finance Committee for this academic year.

At its meeting Wednesday night, Duke Student Government selected senior Andrew Lyu, freshmen Alikiah Barclay and Chris Paluch, and juniors Herng Lee, June Whan Choi and Andrew Hollar. The new members were chosen from a pool of 14 candidates.

SOFC is responsible for allocating the annual budget to student groups for the upcoming year. SOFC Chair David Hu, a junior, said those in SOFC must have certain characteristics.

“A good member of SOFC needs prior experience with budgets and as treasurer in another organization,” Hu said.

Junior Will Passo, DSG’s vice president for Durham and regional affairs, also invited two special guests to the meeting.

Vice Provost for the Arts Scott Lindroth and Beverly Meek, arts outreach and communications assistant, spoke in front of the Senate concerning the issue of expanding the art program at Duke and around Durham. Lindroth currently works closely with Duke Performances to develop programming on campus, and invites artists to visit the campus and interact with students.

Lindroth said that students have shown interest in a substantial arts program at Duke, which “is beginning to change the overall presence of art on campus.” He is also working with the Arts and Engagement program to bring the artwork of Duke students into Durham.  

In support of this idea, Duke will be hosting an art show in the Bryan Center to exhibit the artwork of Durham elementary school students, Passo said.

“I think that art can build bonds between people and mend relations in the community,” he said.

New legislation governing the Duke University Student Dining Advisory Committee was also brought forth in the meeting.  

Currently, DUSDAC is a branch of DSG. The new legislation discusses how DUSDAC will operate and manage membership. A DSG representative will be selected to improve communications between DSG and DUSDAC. The proposed bill that clarifies DUSDAC’s role is up for Senate approval at an upcoming meeting.

Share and discuss “DSG elects six to SOFC, reviews art on campus” on social media.