Some students asked to delay arrival due to mold

Duke has asked students living in Edens 2A to wait until at least Saturday to move in, after workers discovered mold in the building's ducts, according to a Duke News release.

Students arriving earlier and those already in the dorm will be moved to apartments on Central Campus, the release stated. All students living in Edens 2A have already been contacted by Residence Life and Housing Services.

“The mold is not dangerous, but the process does require crews to enter every room to make sure all vents are clean," Joe Gonzalez, associate dean for residence life, told Duke News. “The work will go much faster if we keep the spaces clear for the crews to do their work, which is why the decision was made to house students elsewhere during this process.”

Workers are currently cleaning the ducts and should complete the work by Saturday, according to the release.

This is not the first time that mold has been discovered in Edens dorms.

In April 2007, The Chronicle reported that mold was found in several rooms on the fifth floor of Edens 2A. The ducts were cleaned at that time.

“Once the current problem has been remedied, a full assessment of why this is happening will be undertaken, and additional prevention measures will be identified,” Gary Thompson, director of facilities operations, said in the release.

Share and discuss “Some students asked to delay arrival due to mold” on social media.