Times columnist Kristof to speak at Duke

New York Times Columnist Nicholas Kristof will speak at Duke next Fall, Colleen Scott, associate director of the Baldwin Scholars program confirmed Thursday.

Kristof will give a public lecture at the University as part of a tour to promote his new book, Half the Sky: Turning Oppression into Opportunity for Women Worldwide.

"He’s the big voice in the world and he’s using his voice to highlight the issues the people in WISER are passionate about," said Sheryl Broverman, associate professor of the practice of biology and co-founder and NGO chair of the Women’s Institute for Secondary Education and Research. "We hope it'll kick off discussion on campus about the role gender plays in international development."

She added that Kristof's speech will help WISER move forward, beyond fundraising and toward more education about the pivotal role women play in global economic development. The event will be hosted by the Baldwin Scholars program, WISER and other campus organizations.

Kristof is a two-time Pulitzer prize winner and has been a New York Times columnist since November 2001. He is largely known for bringing to light human rights issues in third-world countries such as the genocide in Darfur.

Share and discuss “Times columnist Kristof to speak at Duke” on social media.