Duke Advances To Compete For NCAA Title

Photo courtesy of GoDuke.com

Even in a wild season for Duke, some consistency remains. For the 12th consecutive year, the Blue Devils will advance to the NCAA Championship round and vie for a national title.

To advance, Duke needed to finish among the top eight teams in the NCAA East Regional. And by Saturday, the Blue Devils found themselves in a favorable position—battling against, but among, the top eight. A 10-over-par, 290 secured  Duke a sixth-place finish to share with rival North Carolina.

“I have seen regionals where the pack was really tight this way, but we were not in it,” said Duke head coach Dan Brooks.  “This was quite an experience to be right there.  It changes so much -- the GolfStat is rolling in and out and you just don’t know where you are.... I have never seen such a mix. It is like this team doesn’t exactly know who it is because as soon as you think we are down and not very good then you will see some impressive things."

Senior Jennie Lee led the Blue Devils with scores of 71, 72, and 74. She was irritated at times by her play on Saturday, but her final round of 74 was enough not only for her team to advance, but also to finish in a career-high 11th place in an NCAA Regional.

With both her individual and team's finish on the line, Lee proved effective under pressure. On the final hole of her third round, Lee sank a crucial eight foot putt.

“This feels great,” Lee said.  “Today was a really frustrating day for me.  My putts were not falling, but to know on that final hole I made my one putt that made a difference.  It is good to finish on a good note.  I am really excited.”

The Blue Devils will travel to Owings Mills, Md. from May 19-22 to compete in the NCAA Championship at the Caves Valley Golf Club.

Share and discuss “Duke Advances To Compete For NCAA Title” on social media.