Remembering John Hope Franklin

Respected historian and civil rights leader John Hope Franklin passed away Wednesday of congestive heart failure at Duke University Hospital. He was 94. The James B. Duke professor emeritus of history was the namesake for The John Hope Franklin Center for Interdisciplinary and International Studies, which opened in 2000 to celebrate his ideals.

A look back at The Chronicle's most recent and significant stories about Franklin:

• John Hope Franklin's commencement address (5/1/06): Those of us who stood three-quarters of a century ago where you stand today could not have imagined the changes that would occur in the next two generations. We can only hope that you who are the beneficiaries of these significant changes have fully appreciated them and have taken advantage of them in every possible way.
  • The American Man of a Century (4/26/06): "Old hat" seems to be a term that is ingrained in John Hope Franklin's vocabulary. The prominent scholar has written several books chronicling African-American history, chaired history departments and accrued numerous professorships at several universities.
  • Historian Franklin discusses writing (11/21/05): Historian John Hope Franklin had no intentions of becoming an author. It took a lot of persuading to encourage him to write his first book about the history of African-Americans.
  • Franklin returns to roots for new book (11/3/05): John Hope Franklin is an institution. Literally. He is a preeminent American historian, active participant in nearly a century of struggle for civil rights and namesake of the University's John Hope Franklin Center for Interdisciplinary and International Studies. His new book, Mirror to America: The Autobiography of John Hope Franklin, hit stores Wednesday and chronicles the long and fruitful life of one of America's most renowned scholars and activists.
  • 90 years of making history (1/21/05): Candles, balloons and gifts. This weekend, Duke can expect much birthday cheer as the campus celebrates distinguished John Hope Franklin’s 90th birthday. The celebration of the James B. Duke professor emeritus of history will feature two photography exhibits chronicling his life, a panel discussion with two of Franklin’s former students, and culminate in performances by the Fisk University Jubilee singers.
  • Franklin kicks off speaker series (1/21/98): "I don't always think in terms of race. You almost have to hit me in the face for me to think, 'Oh, this is racial, isn't it?'" With those words, John Hope Franklin initiated this semester's series of informal discussions regarding race relations on campus, speaking to a crowd of about 50 people last night in the basement lounge of the Chapel.
  • Clinton selects Franklin to head race panel (6/19/97): President Bill Clinton has chosen one of the University's finest scholars-John Hope Franklin, James B. Duke professor emeritus of history-to play an integral part in his new initiative on race relations, naming him chair of his presidential advisory board.
  • Franklin to be honored by Clinton (9/15/95): John Hope Franklin, James B. Duke professor emeritus of history, will be one of 12 individuals receiving the Presidential Medal of Freedom at the White House on Sept. 28.

Share and discuss “Remembering John Hope Franklin” on social media.