RECESS  |  CULTURE

More on The NY Times and Full Frame

As we reported earlier, The New York Times has withdrawn its sponsorship of the 2009 Full Frame Documentary Film Festival. The newspaper's sponsorship was more of a media exchange and involved no funding. Peg Palmer, the festival's executive director, says that anyone worried about the festival should rest assured it will continue to go on strong this year and in the future.

Concerning the Times though, it is no secret that journalism as an industry is hurting right now, and the Times is not immune. Palmer sent me an article from the Asbury Park Press about the Times that pertains to the Times sponsorship of Full Frame. An excerpt:

The company is making “substantial expense reductions” as ad sales fall, Sulzberger said. In addition to its newspaper Web sites, the company owns About.com, purchased for $410 million in 2005. The site produced $115 million in revenue last year, 3.9 percent of the company’s total.

Although the Times' loss this year is sad, Full Frame 11th year looks solid. The schedule of films is online right now. Of note: Hoop Dreams director Steve James has curated a series called "The Sporting Life" that looks great. Keep checking back to the Playground for more updates on the Festival and be on the lookout for our coverage in the print edition of recess.

Share and discuss “More on The NY Times and Full Frame” on social media.