RECESS  |  CULTURE

LIVE: Des Ark and Yardwork at Nightlight

Chapel Hill's Nightlight is possibly the area's bets venue for a punk show. With no stage and low ceilings, it's a simple venue that befits a small, engaging show. And Sunday night, it even had the right mix of sweat and booze mingling in the air to make it a welcome retreat from the falling snow outside.

Greensboro's Resister--the loudest band of the night--opened. The most physically dynamic set of the night, it was also the most straight-forward and unapologetic punk band that set a good mood. Perhaps a bit too loud, what followed was even better.

Based in Charlotte, Yardwork delivers a punk esthetic with a more back country feel. With dueling drums, multiple guitarists and a multi-instrumentalist that played the trumpet and various percussion instruments, Yardwork is loud. They are in your face but it's not angry. Just fun. The first time I saw them was at BCHQ in July after Les Savy Fav's Nasher show and though the temperature was drastically different, the show was just as exciting. They started their with the upbeat "Cyndi" and took off from there. What makes this band so much fun to watch though, is that you feel like they are having fun playing with each other. It's an unadulterated performance and they are unafraid to joke with one another and the audience. Their joy in making music radiates into the audience.

Finally, Des Ark (or rather, des_ark) finished the set. I was hoping for some interaction between Aimee Argote and the Yardwork boys, but nothing beyond conversation and playful joking. Nonetheless, Argote was as incredible as ever. She was backed by Evan Rowe and Noah Howard. Argote is remarkable when she plays acoustic, but Sunday's show was excellent. She started playing alone and Rowe and Howard joined in. They were incredible tight in their sound and the new material only served as a reminder to how desperately I want her to record a new album.

And as good as the music is, it must be noted how enjoyable her shows are. When she is on stage, there is a sense of intimacy and engagement with the crowd that can only come from a show of that size. That's not to say it was a crowd of 10--in fact, the venue was pretty full. But Argote is so personable on stage you feel she is just playing for you. It was just one of those shows you don't want to end.

Share and discuss “LIVE: Des Ark and Yardwork at Nightlight” on social media.