RECESS  |  CULTURE

The City – “I Lost Myself In Us” (Season 1 Finale)

Whitney has to decide whether to stay with Jay or focus on herself. Courtesy thehollywoodgossip.com

After her breakup with Jay, Whitney reflects on her decision to move to NYC in the first place. Did she make a mistake? Should she have just stayed in LA? Overall, this episode was pretty depressing with Whitney getting passed up for a job in London and Allie getting back together with Adam. On the other hand, we got to see Lauren in this episode and found out that Olivia will be going to London (i.e. Whitney won’t have to deal with Olivia’s bitchiness anymore). And the best part is that when Jay came back begging for Whitney, she turned the tables around and dumped him!

Getting a chance to see Lauren in this episode was actually a pleasant surprise. Whitney calls her up to tell her how lost and alone she’s feeling after her break up with Jay. She explains that the city “swallows you up and spits you back out” and on top of that, Olivia continues to walk all over her at work. And by far, the best quote of the whole episode is Whitney’s description of Olivia: “You can just see the daggers in her eyes.” Lauren, of course, reassures Whitney that she didn’t make any mistakes and that she just needs to stay focused on why she moved to New York in the first place: her job.

While Whitney and Olivia are working on Fashion Week, Whitney finally stands up to Olivia by telling her that she needs to give her more credit for choosing the outfit for the cover of Elle. Surprisingly, Olivia doesn’t cause any drama nor does she bitch Whitney out. Instead, she agrees and tells Whitney she would be happy to give her more recognition, but then walks away immediately. Then, while Whitney is sulking in the corner, Diane von Furstenberg approaches her and after asking Whitney about her love life, she gives her advice that the most important relationship is the one with herself. Awww, how sweet is that. Too bad Whitney’s relationship with herself has been nonexistent this entire season.

In the meantime, we discover that Adam wants Allie to move back in with him. When Allie comes to visit Adam at work, he proclaims that Allie is his one true love and spits out some more bullshit like that. Of course Allie eats this all up and tells Adam she loves him even more. Eww, I think I just vomited in my mouth!

Back at the DVF party, Jay calls Whitney and she discovers that he actually came back and is waiting right outside for her. Right as she goes to meet him, Olivia breaks the news to Whitney about her new promotion, but Whitney does the right thing and leaves without congratulating Olivia or making a scene (although a part of me really did want Whitney to slap Olivia right then and there).

In the last part of the episode we find out that Jay kind of felt bad about the way things ended. At least Adam was able to describe how much he loved Allie, but all Jay can say to Whitney is “I really do love you…I know it’s a bit late, but it’s better late than never.” The big shocker comes when Whitney doesn’t automatically forgive him like the way Allie takes Adam back every single time. Instead, she firmly replies, “It’s also too little, too late.” She completely flips the situation around by saying that now she needs to be alone to focus on her job. And just before she starts to cry, if you look real closely, I’m pretty sure you can see a smirk on her face as she turns around and walks away from Jay. Who knew Whitney actually had the guts to stand up for herself?!?! Or maybe she was just following her boss’ orders. Either way, it’s about time for Whit to focus on herself for a change.

Share and discuss “The City – “I Lost Myself In Us” (Season 1 Finale)” on social media.