Old Duke to feature Sister Hazel

Popular 90s band Sister Hazel will headline Campus Council's annual Old Duke Party in April, the council announced at its weekly meeting Thursday.

The event will feature kegs on the McClendon Tower walkway and space for students to watch the band and enjoy festivities on the Craven Quadrangle patio. Campus Council Programming Chair Hope Lu, a senior, researched bands for the party and said she was looking for a band with name recognition.

"I think the feel of the band is really upbeat and fits the spirit of Old Duke." Lu said. "I think they're a really fun band, and I'm really excited to have them this year."

Lu added that her committee is still working on booking an opening act for the party.

Although not part of the council's agenda, members discussed their role in Duke's emergency preparedness, in light of Monday night's bomb threat to the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.

"Will our systems function the same way [as UNC's] or will they be better?" asked junior Charlie DePietro, a Few Quadrangle representative.

Campus Council President Molly Bierman, a senior, said she did not know if it was Campus Council's responsibility to create policy concerning emergency preparedness. She noted, however, that she is planning to contact Larry Moneta, vice president for student affairs, about possibly getting involved in the conversation.

In other business:

In addition, members passed a motion to remove the TV channel WRDC (MNT), channel 24 on Devilvision. Administrators dismissed a request to remove The Weather Channel in order to offer more options for international students, which was discussed at the council's Feb. 5 meeting. This decision prompted council members to select another channel for removal.

"Our main rational for cutting The Weather Channel was that students could look up the weather on their computer," Bierman said. "But we later found out that the Devilvision package goes to other areas of the school like the [Washington Duke] and the hospital where people may not have access to a computer."

Share and discuss “Old Duke to feature Sister Hazel” on social media.