Hey Sports Blog readers, just a heads-up if you're near a TV: I was checking out the rundown on Pardon the Interruption and it appears today's "Five Good Minutes" guest is none other than Duke's Michael Krzyzewski. Check it out on ESPN right now and see what the coach has to say about last night's huge win over Wake Forest in Cameron.
UPDATE: Some quick hits from Krzyzewski's interview (transcribed as closely as possible from the segment that aired moments ago):
- On his attitude with his team before last night's game: "Sometimes, even with the Olympic team—we knew we had to win—if you're constantly talking about how you have to do this or you have to do that, there's a pressure in that. If you talk about we're going to win, we're going to win, there's more anticipation in that."
- On the "tough choice" (Wilbon's words) of benching Greg Paulus and starting Elliot Williams: "Well, you know, I think you have to do what you think you have to do. We felt the move with Elliot was to help our ball pressure but that he was not a point guard, so we had Jon Scheyer bring it up—and he's only had one turnover in two games... Those guys [Paulus and Nolan Smith] are still very important to us. We're not going to win a lot of games with five guys."
- On the best teams in the country right now: "There are three teams, one from our conference North Carolina, and then Pitt and Connecticut. I think the game that impressed me the most this season was Pitt/UConn. There were men out on the court. Whoever wins it [The Big East? The NCAA title?] is going to have to have the most men on the court, and those two teams have a lot of them."
- "I'm not a big text guy... I'm not really a big call guy, either." [Hello Rick Majerus syntax! Where's Stevey Lavin when you need him to play the straight man? No pun intended. Really.]
- On USA Basketball: "We thought our edge was with our athletic ability on the defensive end."
- "I told my guys at Duke, if you think you're working, you haven't seen it yet. There's a reason why Kobe Bryant and LeBron James and Dwayne Wade are the three best players in the league."
In other news, ESPN showed the exchange between Tony Kornheiser, Mike Wilbon, and Coach K during commercial break, and the two hosts congratulated K on a good interview and said they'd seem him Wednesday. Can't wait to be in the press room of the Comcast Center. Mr. Tony, Wilbon, and Scott Van Pelt in the same night? My heart is a-flutter as yours truly will be at the game against the Terps and live blogging all the action for you right here on this humble site.
Get The Chronicle straight to your inbox
Signup for our weekly newsletter. Cancel at any time.