CC elects Temple as president

Campus Council members elected sophomore Stephen Temple to serve as the council's president for the 2009-2010 academic year in a meeting Thursday night.

The council's new leadership will include many new faces. Sophomore Alex Reese will serve as vice president; sophomore John Pryor will serve as facilities and services chair and freshman Ben Goldenberg will take the role of programming chair. Junior Sean Puneky-the only returning member of the executive board-will continue his position as the group's treasurer. The incoming team will begin their term April 2.

"Serving as the president of this organization is honestly something that I have aspired to ever since stepping foot onto Duke's campus," said Temple, who currently serves as an at-large representative for the council. "I am incredibly excited about the dedication of this incoming executive board."

Temple said advocacy for student needs across all three campuses will continue to be the central focus in the organization's programming and policies. He added that he also hopes to reach out to the quieter voices on campus.

Reese noted the important role the council will play in the coming year as plans evolve for the development of Central Campus and New Campus. He added that another priority for Campus Council will be to monitor and evaluate the new residence living programs and communities, including the "East Meets West" block-free zone and substance-free housing option.

"I think in terms of evaluating those new communities, a way we can do that is through communication with the new residents in those communities and also with [the Residence Life and Housing Services] staff," Reese said. "We also hope to do some survey work in those communities [by] asking the right questions."

Current Programming Chair Hope Lu, a senior, said she thinks the organization will be in good hands, and Vice President Kevin Thompson said he agrees with Lu's sentiment.

"I have full confidence in the skills and dedication of these five gentlemen," said Thompson, a senior.

Share and discuss “CC elects Temple as president” on social media.