RECESS  |  CULTURE

Branch Gallery closing end of February

A moment of silence for the abrupt closing of popular downtown art space Branch Gallery, which has announced its close at the end of February.

As their five-year lease comes to an end, the venue has decided to bring the gallery to a close sooner than expected (owners Chloe Seymore and Teka Selman were originally planning to wrap up operations around Fall 2009).

Their short-but-sweet time in Durham has delighted area art fans. For those who have not yet experienced Branch, they will be open today for Third Friday until 8 p.m. The gallery's final exhibition in its 301c Foster Street digs (featuring Pedro Lasch and a Jerstin Crosby-curated video installation) will be up until Feb. 28.

But don't worry--Branch still plans to display slated exhibits at alternative venues after this month. Here's an excerpt from the press release as seen on Indy Week's Triangulator blog:

Branch itself will remain open as a corporation through Summer 2009, as Seymore and Selman work in offsite locations to host previously scheduled exhibitions of the work of three of the gallery’s artists: Harrison Haynes, Katy Clove, and Amanda Barr. The gallery will provide information on these upcoming projects as soon as those details are solidified.

For the full press release, click here.

Bon Voyage, Branch Gallery. Now we wait and see whether anyone can step up to fill its shoes.

Share and discuss “Branch Gallery closing end of February” on social media.