Another opinionated Oscars blog

(braden hendricks)Oh, the Oscars....

The glamor and glory (and the snubs) of the Oscars ought to be unrivaled in all of entertainment, but its not. For the past few years Hollywood's biggest night has skidded in the ratings, but why?

With the likes of Will Smith, Halle Berry, Steven Spielberg and many other Tinseltown royals strutting their stuff on stage, it was sure draw in monumental ratings. With the dynamic duos of Zac Efron and Vanessa Hudgens, Beyonce and Hugh Jackman singing together in gala inspired ecstasy, surely all the world was tuning in.

Me? Honestly, I spent more time watching Lebron pulverizing the Detroit Pistons than Slumdog trouncing Benjamin Button.

Generic Script

Why, you ask? There just wasn't any excitement, or suspense. We all knew Wall-E would get Best Animated Film, that Penelope Cruz would win Best Supporting Actress (and look great doing it)

Generic Script

That picture isn't from this year's Oscars but it doesn't even matter. Everything looks good on Penelope.

Er, where was I? Oh yeah, what I'm really getting at here folks is that everyone knew the winners even before the show started. There was absolutely no way Heath Ledger wasn't going to get Best Supporting Actor, While Sean Penn, Kate Winslet and Slumdog Millionaire wrapped up Best Actress, Best Actor and Best Picture, respectively.

Generic Script

Generic Script

Generic Script

Anyone who betted against these people or movies winning was a fool (with exception of Mickey Rourke). I hate to be mean about it, but the Oscars was more or less a snorefest that even Beyonce and Hugh Jackman couldn't save.

Generic Script

Generic Script

With all these underwhelming revelations occuring, I decided to watch something far more awe-inspiring (and equally photogenic)

Generic Script

Wow, that's a lot of pictures, but whatever. My point is that even though the Oscars were reformatted this year to be longer and less funny (they switched from the usual comedian host to Hugh Jackman), they still haven't changed the essence of the show. The essence of the show is the suspense of who is going to win. It will take a greater mind than mine to solve this problem, but there has to be some way to spread the Oscars' appeal beyond those who care within the industry. Otherwise, the ratings slide will only continue.

Share and discuss “Another opinionated Oscars blog” on social media.