Student allegedly assaulted over the weekend

An assault on a male student was reported on West Campus early Saturday morning, Duke University Police Department Maj. Gloria Graham confirmed Monday.

"We believe at this point all of the individuals involved were students," she said. "It wasn't any kind of a stranger situation."

The alleged victim has received medical care and was released Monday night, a friend of the student said.

Graham said it is unclear how severe the student's injuries were or how many people were involved in the alleged attack.

Police are awaiting more details from the individual and the witness who originally reported the alleged crime, Graham said. A call to DUPD was made at 4:15 a.m. Saturday to dispatch police officers to the Alumni House. Graham added, however, that the reported crime likely occurred at another location on or nearby West Campus, though she is unsure exactly where.

Dean of Students Sue Wasiolek said Student Affairs is in the process of getting in touch with the victim.

The alleged assault seems to have stemmed from an occurrence at a party, said Larry Moneta, vice president for student affairs.

"This appears to have been a situation where post an event there was some aggression-it wasn't [some] sort of a random assault," he added.

Graham declined to release a police report because information is being added and the investigation is ongoing.

Share and discuss “Student allegedly assaulted over the weekend” on social media.