Sanford still set for July 1 transition

Despite the current economic downturn, the Terry Sanford Institute of Public Policy expects to become the University's tenth school by its targeted July 1 deadline.

As of Jan. 1, the institute had raised 75 percent of its goal to raise $40 million by June 30-keeping with its original projections two and a half years ago, said Sanford Director Bruce Kuniholm, a professor of public policy and history.

"It is a challenging environment to raise money," he said. "However, we believe that even in tough economic times, there are some things that are worth investing in-and providing a good education in public policy is one of them."

While acknowledging that the recession erodes the base of potential donors, Kuniholm said he does not believe that this will hold up the process.

A large part of the Sanford Institute's goal is to double the size of the faculty and staff, which will help the institute continue to be one of the most renowned public policy establishments in the nation, Sanford administrators said.

Currently, the Sanford Institute is ranked tenth in Public Affairs by U.S. News and World Report, the highest ranking for a program in the concentration that is not an independent school.

"If you look at the rankings, we already compete with all the top-name public policy schools in the country," Kuniholm said. "Becoming a school will allow us to compete even more so."

In addition, as part of the transition from institute to school, this year marks the first that the Sanford Institute will have its own annual fund. Previously, the institute received support from the University's annual fund.

"We have had a lot of success with our annual fund and are confident that we will continue to raise money that will directly benefit our students," said Karen Kemp, director of communications for the Sanford Institute. "Part of us becoming our own school was the ability to raise our own funds separate from the University."

Kuniholm said branching out from the University is in keeping with the independent spirit of Duke's sixth president and the institution's namesake, Terry Sanford, who coined the phrase, "Putting knowledge in the service of society."

"What good is a university education if you can't use that info in service to others?" Kuniholm asked. "That's what Terry Sanford believed, and that is what we believe here at the institute today."

Although several public policy students said Sanford becoming a school will be beneficial, some added that they felt left out of the process.

"I think it is a good idea, but I don't know any of the details," said senior Katey Urquhart, a public policy major. "I've been hearing about Sanford becoming a school since I was a freshman, but I'm not sure what exactly it will do for the school."

Sanford administrators also acknowledged that persistent misinformation-as to where the transition is currently and the implications for students-is a cause for concern.

"Everything we are doing is to improve the educational quality for our students," Kuniholm said. "The fact is that we are going to become a school and that this will make us more able to provide a quality education to all our students."

Share and discuss “Sanford still set for July 1 transition” on social media.