Panhel elects new executive board for 2009

New leaders of the Panhellenic Council are taking on the roles of the top brass, hoping to tackle issues of space and recruitment in the coming year.

Following an election last Tuesday among Panhel sororities, junior Erika Manderscheid has taken the reins as president with junior Ruthie Tucker as the new executive vice president and junior Margaret Morrison as vice president of recruitment and membership. All three women ran unopposed.

"Last year the focus of Panhel was more external.... I'm excited to come in and do a lot of the internal stuff," said Manderscheid, a member of Kappa Alpha Theta sorority, as is her predecessor, senior Rachel Nordlinger.

Manderscheid emphasized space as a focus for the coming year, saying that she hopes Panhel will present a more "unified front" against the problem. Panhel members have complained about a lack of suitable recruitment and storage space on campus.

This year, recruitment was moved from West Campus to East Campus. Morrison said she is unsure of whether East will continue to be the location for recruitment next year, noting that the move was not as successful as officers had hoped.

"I'm glad we did it this year because now we're able to compare both campuses," added Morrison, a member of Delta Gamma sorority. "I think that in the end there are a lot of issues that make it harder to work on East and there are also cons to working on West."

Manderscheid and Morrison said they plan to continue lobbying administrators for better space on campus, including an allotted area on New Campus. Morrison added that the locker space in Trent Drive Hall currently assigned to Panhel for storage is "horrific."

Nordlinger said all three new officers have held leadership positions in their respective chapters and have the necesssary experience for their roles.

"They're all 'in the know.' They have really great ideas on how to push realistic and well-thought-out agendas forward," she said.

Tucker could not be reached for comment Sunday night.

Share and discuss “Panhel elects new executive board for 2009” on social media.