matt and kim

It's the same old story: indie boy meets indie girl, they play indie music together, they make indie love and then more indie music is played. But move over, Jack and Meg White-your whole "We're divorced, but still best friends" bit is getting old, and we want the real deal. Fear not; alternative punk/dance duo Matt and Kim shows that a music-producing relationship can prevail. On their sophomore album, Grand, Matt and Kim continue to rely on the synth pop that burst from the seams of their self-titled debut, but this time they do it with a bit more care.

Their first album made it abundantly clear that Matt Johnson's voice takes some getting used to, and for anyone whose first impression of the pair is Grand, nothing has changed. The difference here is that the top-notch production (done completely by Matt himself) helps his voice make the grade. For example, album opener "Daylight" incorporates multiple overlaid vocal tracks to give the song more volume and create the illusion that Matt is somewhere close to hitting his notes. Kim Schifino, whose drumbeats have evolved into their own complex entities, even adds some gentle backing vocals on "Lessons Learned."

True to their pop sensibilities, Matt and Kim give a lot away with their song titles. Case in point: the lyrics on "Don't Look Down" are 70 percent those three words, repeated over and over again. Regardless, the song still manages to be one of the catchiest on the album, and the duo displays a true gift in creating greatness from such simplicity.

In just under 30 minutes, Grand demonstrates that Matt and Kim are beginning to move in the right direction. And one thing's for sure; this love story, fueled by an onstage marriage proposal, will end happily ever after-for listeners, at the very least.

Share and discuss “matt and kim” on social media.