EW blogger and Duke alum Dave Karger has 10 predictions of possible surprises at tomorrow's Oscar nominations announcement:
1. The Reader or Gran Torino sneak into Best Picture over The Dark Knight.
2. Richard Jenkins bumps Brad Pitt out of Best Actor.
3. Melissa Leo snags Angelina Jolie's Best Actress slot.
4. Voters ignore Kate Winslet's supporting-actress campaign and nominate her for Best Actress for The Reader, leaving Revolutionary Road out of the acting races completely.
5. Dev Patel scores a Best Actor nod instead of landing in the supporting category.
6. The Dark Knight trumps The Reader in the adapted-screenplay race.
7. Doubt scores four acting nods after all, as Amy Adams pushes Taraji P. Henson out of supporting actress.
8. Happy-Go-Lucky's Mike Leigh displaces Ron Howard or Gus Van Sant in Best Director.
9. Milk takes two supporting-actor slots and leaves Robert Downey, Jr., in the cold.
10. Slumdog Millionaire tops Benjamin Button and scores the most overall nominations.
I don't expect much of the Oscars, but am I the only person grossly underwhelmed by Slumdog and Kate Winslet's overbaked performances in 2008?
Get The Chronicle straight to your inbox
Signup for our weekly newsletter. Cancel at any time.