RECESS  |  CULTURE

The City - "He Never Said He Had a Girlfriend"

Allie. Courtesy mtv.com

So for those of you just joining us, The City is the new, addictive spin-off of The Hills that follows Lauren Conrad’s ex-coworker, Whitney Port, as she tries to discover love and success in NYC. In the first few episodes, we’ve been introduced to her new life which seems to revolve around cheating boys, bitchy co-workers and the “uptown-downtown divide.” In the latest episode, we find out whether or not Jay’s best-friend, Adam, will stay with his girlfriend, Allie, after she hears the rumors about him making out with another girl.

Whitney invites her co-worker, Olivia, to an art show that Jay, Whitney’s officially new boyfriend, is organizing. Of course, Olivia doesn’t immediately accept the invitation because she needs to check her packed social calendar. Whitney also warns Olivia about the potential drama that might occur, but Olivia immediately cuts her off and states that she just doesn’t want to hear about it and with her fake smile that we’ve become so used to, she thanks Whitney for the invitation.

At the art show, we notice that everyone including Catarina, the girl who claims to have kissed Adam, has showed up. It’s a disaster waiting to happen. Catarina and Allie unsuccessfully ignore each other at first, but finally, after explaining that “girls have to look out for each other,” Catarina starts apologizing for what happened between her and Adam. Allie starts to cry, but overall she accepts the news rather well and even assures Catarina that she doesn’t hate her. Then, Allie locks herself in the bathroom, while Adam continues to deny everything. As Allie starts to leave the party, Adam decides that he just needs to give her some time to get over it.

The next day, Olivia, who ended up attending the art show, is gossiping with her cousin about how they didn’t know anyone at the party, which was “so downtown hipster.” They decide they need to introduce Whitney to another group of friends, so she doesn’t keep hanging out with the same “downtown niche.” Clearly this uptown-downtown theme will continue throughout the season and I’m rooting for Olivia to convert Whitney to her uptown ways so we meet some new rich and preppy guys because I am so over these downtown boys.

Whitney is also having her doubts as Jay adamantly defends Adam even though earlier in the episode we saw that when Adam was outright asked if anything happened with the other girl, he didn’t even respond. We’re left with Whitney telling Jay, “your friends are a reflection of who you are and I just don’t like liars…”

The last scene of the episode is a bit of a shock, when we see Adam and Allie together at dinner. Adam tries saying just about anything to make Allie feel better: “You look cute…I love you…I really want to apologize…I’m speechless.” And after about thirty seconds of Allie explaining how embarrassed and awful she felt last night, she ends up taking his side because she can’t just trust another girl over him. We all know this relationship is now doomed, but we can’t help but wonder if we would have taken Adam back too. Even Whitney dealt with the same situation in the pilot, and she took Jay’s side too. The only difference was that Whitney heard about Jay cheating with another girl, from a guy; but then again, hearing it from the girl who cheated with your boyfriend makes it so much more convincing.

Share and discuss “The City - "He Never Said He Had a Girlfriend"” on social media.