Blue Devils set marks in Boston

A pair of Blue Devils set school records, and plenty more set personal-bests and garnered honors at the Terrier Classic Friday and Saturday in Boston.

Freshman Cydney Ross broke Duke's record in the 500 meter with a time of 1:13.63 in her first stab at the attempt, and on the men's side, sophomore Bo Waggoner set the school standard in the 3,000 meter with an 8:10.62, good for ninth place in an impressive field.

Duke saw nine ECAC standards, one ICFA qualifier and four first-place medals Friday, and Saturday proved just as fruitful with nine IC4A qualifiers and two ECAC standards.

"Overall, it was a great, great weekend for Duke," director of track and field Norm Ogilvie said. "This was a highly successful outing for the Blue Devils, and both days were everything we could have expected."

The men's distance medley relay team won for the third straight year Friday, beating the nearest competition by 15 seconds. One of its top runners in that foursome, Cory Nanni, placed second in Duke's record book in the 1K, coming across in 2:25.09, good for second place.

Freshman Michael Barbas, in his second career performance, broke his own third-place mark in Duke history, and junior Sid Palas won the men's pole vault at 15 feet, nine inches, and Jade Ellis took second.

Amy Fryt won the pole vault on the women's side, leaping 12 feet and nine and a half inches, second in Duke history. Senior Molly Lehman also took second in the mile.

Share and discuss “Blue Devils set marks in Boston” on social media.