RECESS  |  CULTURE

Harrison Haynes and Casey Cook to Play Branch Outpost

Lots of news about Durham's celebrated Branch Gallery. First, Branch Outpost, a satellite space located at 111 Orange Street in Durham, now has a blog

The blog's first post concerns an exciting event announcement featuring Casey Cook, the artist behind Branch's current exhibition "Boom Boom Crash," and Branch co-founder and Les Savy Fav drummer Harrison Haynes. The two artists/drummers will perform "LRLL RLRR" at Branch Outpost. From the press release:

Two drummers (Cook and Haynes), each seemingly unaware of the other and of whoever might be watching, each behind a drum set, each located in one of the two window bays of the Branch Outpost space, will play the same drum beat continuously for 2 hours.

Casey Cook is certainly less famous as a drummer, but her drumsticks from the multimedia piece "Circle Triangle Army" featured in her current Branch exhibition are on display in the gallery. Also interesting is that "Circle Crash Army" uses a mash-up of a Germs track and Michael Jackson's "Billy Jean" for its audio element. At a recent visit to the gallery, Branch co-owner Chloë Seymore told me that the drum part from "Billy Jean" was one of the first beats that both Haynes and Cook learned.

The event is this Friday, Dec. 19 from 5 to 7 p.m. at Branch Outpost on 111 Orange Street. Check back to the Playground Friday for our coverage.

Share and discuss “Harrison Haynes and Casey Cook to Play Branch Outpost” on social media.