RECESS  |  CULTURE

The Charlie Browniest Christmas Playlist

Courtesy Amazon.com

Inspired by Ben Cohen’s endorsement of Bruce Springsteen’s Christmas classic, I decided to compile a list of some of my favorite holiday songs. Because I’m not from New Jersey, Springsteen didn’t make the cut. Sorry, Ben. This list, however, evokes a side of Christmas not seen in Mariah Carey's or Bing Crosby's respective Christmas albums. A side that is best described by Charlie Brown in his famous Christmas special:

"I think there must be something wrong with me, Linus. Christmas is coming, but I'm not happy. I don't feel the way I'm supposed to feel. I guess I just don't understand Christmas. I like getting presents and sending Christmas cards and decorating trees and all that, but I'm still not happy. I always end up feeling depressed."

Enjoy a break from the Bon Iver-filled top 10 lists. Happy Christmas?

Sufjan Stevens. "That Was the Worst Christmas Ever!" The song ends "Silent night/Holy night/Silent night/Nothing feels right," encapsulating Charlie Brown's sentiment in the most Jesus-loving, Sufjan Stevens way possible.

The Trekky Yuletide Orchestra. "The Best Christmas Ever." Chapel Hill-based Trekky Records formed the Trekky Yuletide Orchestra a few years back when they launched their annual Christmas at the Cradle concert, now in its third year. They also released an album of Christmas standards. The warm string section and acoustic guitar paired with the anti-consumerist message is a kind of endearing but the lyrics' desolate imagery of barren hearths and "no presents anywhere" still pack a depressing punch.

Steve Martin & Paul Simon. "Silver Bells." Even with Linus' poignant reminder of the true meaning of Christmas, I don't think anyone has nailed the meaning of the season quite like Paul Simon and Steve Martin on their unique rendition of this standard. "It's a time for eggnog and brandy." Yes, indeed.

Vince Guaraldi/The Peanuts Kids. "Hark! The Herald Angels Sing." When the vocals hit on this song, it has an entirely different effect. But the intro is just as eerie as the vocal version of "Christmas Time Is Here" from A Charlie Brown Christmas. Both songs capture that odd happy-sadness of the season in unparalleled manner.

Bright Eyes. "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas." Say what you will about Connor Oberst, his rendition of “Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas” is one of the beautiful Christmas songs ever with its quivering violins and delicate piano.

Okkervil River. "Listening to Otis Redding During Christmas." Whill Sheff reminds us the pains of being at home at the holidays-and more generally, alive-when he sings “Not even home can be with you forever. Happy Holidays." It's almost as good as actually listening to Otis Redding during Christmas.

Snowden. "Winter Wonderland." Snowden's bassist looks like a killer when she is playing. Combine that with the band's Interpol-like sound and you have something that is very wintry but not very wondrous.

Jens Lekman. "Run Away with Me." A Christmas song only in its one mention to the season, Jens' song is easily the happiest on this list. But there's something kind of subversive about the idea of abandoning family for your adorable, Boyz II Men-crooning Swedish lover.

Glasgow Love Theme.” From Craig Armstrong’s Love Actually score recalls all the sad images of Laura Linney’s lost chances with her Greek lover, that charming bloke who pines for Keira Knightley and everything else in Love Actually that reminds us how sad it is to not have anyone to kiss on Christmas or New Year's Eve.

The Pogues. "Fairytale of New York." The most irreverent Christmas song ever, this Pogues favorite is for drunks what Band-Aid was for starving African children-a reminder that even miserable people have Christmas to do.  Outside of Vince Guaraldi's Peanuts soundtrack, this is all you need. Bottoms up!

Share and discuss “The Charlie Browniest Christmas Playlist” on social media.