Who will the Republicans nominate in 2012?

This was a topic of significant discussion at the N.C. GOP Victory 2008 Election Night Party in Raleigh after an Obama victory began to look inevitable. Some of the names that were thrown around:

1. Gov. Sarah Palin, Alaska —The conservative base loves her. McCain called her "one of the best campaigners I've ever seen" in his concession speech. Many have speculated that she could appoint herself to the U.S. Senate if convicted felon Sen. Ted Stevens, R-Alaska, is elected and subsequently expelled. The 2008 race has already given her plenty of time in the national spotlight.

2. Gov. Bobby Jindal, La.— Another guy I talked to said he was hoping for a Palin-Jindal ticket in 2012. The Lousiana governor has the conservative credentials to please the base. At age 37 he would bring a youthful energy to match Obama's.

3. Mitt Romney - If the economy is still the number one issue in four years, Romney could be well positioned for another run.

4. Gov. Tim Pawlenty, Minn. - Another young (47) Republican governor who is considered a rising star in the party.

5. Sen. John Thune, S.D. - Also 47, many Republicans still love him for his upset of former Senate Minority Leader Tom Daschle, D-S.D., in 2004.

If you are tired of my baseless speculation, check out this New York Times story about who will lead the Republican party for the next four years.

Share and discuss “Who will the Republicans nominate in 2012?” on social media.