Munger comments on gubernatorial campaign

Mike Munger, the Libertarian candidate for governor and chair of Duke’s political science department, reflected on his bid in a DukeNews YouTube clip Wednesday, calling it “one of the greatest experiences I’ve ever been so glad is finished.”

Results show he secured just under 3 percent of the vote, meaning Libertarian candidates will remain on the ballot through 2012. Munger passed the threshold required by North Carolina’s ballot access law, one of the most rigid in the country for Libertarians to automatically be placed on the ballot. He captured 120,000 votes Tuesday, but to get on the ballot in the first place he had to petition for more than 100,000 signatures.

He'll resume focus on teaching (throughout the campaign, he never stopped), but according to the Independent Weekly, Munger isn’t finished campaigning just yet. At a party at Raleigh’s University Club, he announced he would seek the State Senate seat in 2010, and his campaign manager Barbara Howe told The Chronicle Tuesday that he hadn’t ruled out another run for the state’s top spot in 2012.

In the clip, he also comments on parties, and the impact Democratic support had on Barack Obama’s election. “The main reason Barack Obama won… was the ground game they played here in North Carolina.”

Having played some ground game himself, logging tens of thousands of miles campaigning across the state, he says he has new perspective to inform his teaching.

“Anyone who teaches political science should have lost an election,” he jokes.

Here’s betting his political science class had a rousing discussion today.

Share and discuss “Munger comments on gubernatorial campaign” on social media.