McClinton captures attention

Led by four talented seniors back from a 23-11 squad, No. 17 Miami seems poised to challenge the ACC's bluebloods for the conference title and, in another season of football mediocrity, could keep Coral Gables crazy about hoops well into March.

But in order to do so, the Hurricanes will be heavily reliant on fourth-year head coach Frank Haith's first senior class. Haith has managed to shift attention from the gridiron to the hardwood thanks in large part to guards Jack McClinton and Lance Hurdle and forwards Brian Asbury and Jimmy Graham.

"It is very satisfying to see those guys get from where they were four years ago to where they are today-to see their improvement in their game and as people, as men," Haith said.

And it will be McClinton, the preseason All-ACC guard, who will lead the offensive attack. Projected to be one of the top performers in the conference again this year, the 6-foot-1, 185-pound combo guard averaged nearly 18 points and three assists per game last season. His best effort was a 38-point explosion in Miami's first-round NCAA Tournament win over St. Mary's.

In the past, Miami has ridden the coattails of high-scoring guards like Robert Hite and Guillermo Diaz to only limited success. This team, however, has depth.

Each of its top five point producers from last season will be donning the green and orange again this year. They will be joined by top recruit DeQuan Jones, a five-star prospect who spurned offers from traditional basketball powerhouses. The 6-foot-6 forward is an elite-level talent that has the future looking bright in South Florida.

For the first time in Haith's tenure, though, the team has lofty expectations to uphold. The Hurricanes are slated to finish fourth in the ACC and their No. 16 preseason ranking signifies an uncharacteristic respect. If Miami is able to match the hopes for the program, the burden has to fall squarely on McClinton and the rest of the seniors.

"I thought that this season would be our first special season because we have our first senior class," Haith said.

He may be right.

Share and discuss “McClinton captures attention” on social media.