Hagan knocks Dole out of Senate with big win

This election, North Carolina was the site of a U.S. Senate race key to the Democratic Party's goal of capturing a 60-seat majority and achieving a filibuster-proof Senate.

Although projections indicated Democrats would fall short of that number, Democratic N.C. state Sen. Kay Hagan pulled off a win against incumbent Sen. Elizabeth Dole, R-N.C. Hagan picked up 52.6 percent of the vote compared to Dole's 44.2 percent, according to unofficial results as of a 4 a.m. press deadline.

Dole's seat had once been thought secure, though the race between Dole and Hagan has been heated and close.

In North Carolina's 4th District, Democratic Rep. David Price was victorious in a race some said would be tougher than many he has faced in his 20 years in Congress.

Price defeated opponent B.J. Lawson with 63 percent of the vote to 37 percent, according to the unofficial results. The proportion of votes for Price this year was slightly less than the 65 percent he won with against Republican challenger Steve Acuff, who captured 35 percent of the vote in 2006.

"It has been a hard-fought campaign," Dole said in a concession speech Tuesday night. She added that this year's race was composed of "tough, unfair, negative ads against me."

Hagan also acknowledged in her victory speech that the Senate campaign has been negative this year, but she encouraged people from all parties to come together. She said she had heard voters' message to "stop the partisan bickering, work together and get started fixing things right now."

Speaking in Salisbury, N.C., Dole congratulated her opponent.

"I urge you also to join me in praying to God to guide Kay Hagan," she added.

Looking back at the months and weeks leading up to the election, some political analysts said one event tipped the scales in Hagan's favor.

Dole released a controversial ad Oct. 29 entitled "Promise," suggesting a link between Hagan and the political action committee Godless Americans.

"I think Elizabeth Dole, well, her last political act-she trashed herself," said Don Ellis, who attended the N.C. Democratic party's Victory Party in Raleigh.

The New York Times reported late Tuesday that Republicans attributed Dole's loss in part to record turnout among African-American voters.

Linda Daves, chair of the N.C. Republican Party, said at the GOP Victory Party that Dole can be proud of her time in the Senate.

"Sen. Dole can rest with great assurance as she returns to her civilian life-a normal life-that she has served her country and her fellow man very well," she said.

Hagan also had a message for those who were skeptical of her campaign.

"To the North Carolinians who did not vote for me," she said, "I am going to be working hard for the next six years to earn your vote."

Naureen Khan and Will Robinson contributed reporting.

Share and discuss “Hagan knocks Dole out of Senate with big win” on social media.