FSU seeks to replace stars

Certain intangibles usually separate the good teams from the great ones. Qualities like veteran leadership, crunch-time shooting and great guard play make or break a basketball team. But Florida State graduated most of those qualities last year.

After an underwhelming season in which the Seminoles finished 19-15 and lost in the first round of the NIT to Akron, the numbers don't look promising for Florida State.

Most of the team's proven commodities-namely guards Ralph Mims, Isaiah Swann and Jason Rich-are gone, and they took a combined 37.9 points points per game with them.

Now, Florida State is at a crossroads. The Seminoles were a mediocre team last year, but at least they knew what they had. They must lean heavily on a bevy of young talent and hope that the potential of a stellar recruiting class can overcome some big losses.

The focal point of the frontcourt, and the source of the greatest optimism around Tallahassee, is redshirt freshman Solomon Alabi, a 7-foot-1 center who missed all but 10 games last season with a stress fracture in his tibia.

Alabi showed tremendous defensive ability in his few starts last year-his 7-foot-3 wingspan and 9-foot-1 standing height make him an intimidating presence in the middle.

The backcourt is a compelling mix of veteran leadership and newcomers, led by last season's leading scorer, point guard Toney Douglas. Along with providing key defense on the perimeter, he will be expected to mentor and bring along some newcomers.

Florida State surprised few last season, winning its winnable games and losing the contests it was expected to lose. But the Seminoles were still within shouting distance of being an NCAA bubble team. Now, with the loss of its proven players, the squad is going to have to embrace its youth and swagger, with the chance at an NCAA Tournament berth hanging in the balance.

Share and discuss “FSU seeks to replace stars” on social media.