Curator knighted by Spanish gov't

Although Duke's Gothic architecture has long reminded students of castles, its aura was cemented Friday with the University's first knighthood.

The Spanish government bestowed knighthood upon Sarah Schroth, Nancy Hanks senior curator of The Nasher Museum of Art, for her work on the exhibit "El Greco to Velazquez: Art During the Reign of Philip III."

A vibrant assembly of art supporters packed into the Nasher's lobby Friday to celebrate the success of the exhibit, which began Aug. 21 and ended Sunday, and to witness the recognition of its curator.

Although Jorge Dezcallar, Spanish ambassador to the United States, was originally scheduled to bestow knighthood upon Schroth, he was unable to make the ceremony due to illness, said Wendy Hower Livingston, the Nasher's manager of marketing and communications. Consul General of Spain Alvaro de Salas came to Duke in his place.

"[The exhibit] reassesses a magnificent period of Spanish art from Philip III's reign-a time of peace, optimism and prosperity," de Salas said. "Its narrative is groundbreaking. It has been a great success."

When a beaming Schroth joined de Salas, he presented her with a certificate and announced that she had been recognized as "Encomienda de la Orden de Isabel la Católica," one of Spain's highest civil honors. The entitlement of "Knight-Commander of the Royal Order of Isabella the Catholic" was created to honor those who promote Spanish art and culture in the Americas.

De Salas said Schroth had made a landmark discovery. Her research established the Duke of Lerma as one of the great art collectors of Phillp III's reign. De Salas proceeded to pin an elaborate medal onto Schroth's jacket, and Schroth's formal title became Su Ilustrisima, or The Illustrious One. Cheers of "bravo" erupted from the Nasher's crowd.

"I love Spain so much. It's been a huge and enriching part of my life." Schroth said, before attendees dispersed to enjoy decadent Spanish appetizers and desserts, Spanish music and elaborate Spain-themed decorations at the gala.

Schroth said she found out she would be receiving the knighthood in September and that it was a complete surprise. She added that she had been working on the exhibit's material for 20 years.

President Richard Brodhead began the ceremony by praising "El Greco to Velazquez" for fulfilling the highest of purposes of a university. He thanked Schroth for creating a window into Spanish life by depicting a time when it was the center of the globalized world.

De Salas, based in Washington D.C., began his presentation by shuffling through papers. He drew laughter from the crowd when he announced that the Spanish Embassy had sent him prepared remarks, but they were boring, so he would speak without them. De Salas said he was happy and honored to be at Duke, adding that he could tell "El Greco to Velazquez" was loved, because the exhibit had been crowded earlier, on a day when people could have been outside enjoying beautiful weather.

"It's a great exhibit," said de Salas. "We don't think the art should be only at national museums. Why not at a university?"

Kimerly Rorschach, the Mary D.B.T. and James H. Semans director of the Nasher, said the formal evening celebration was originally supposed to be intimate. The party grew significantly when the Nasher received many enthusiastic responses about the gala, she added.

Getting the exhibit together was a long and difficult process, Schroth said. She mentioned that it took four visits to The Church of San Miguel in Valladolid, Spain before the Nasher Museum of Art was allowed to display the church's statue of Saint Ignatius-the exhibit marked the first time the relic had ever left the church.

"[The exhibit] has done very well. People stop me and thank me," said Schroth. "They're amazed that a university could do this."

Share and discuss “Curator knighted by Spanish gov't” on social media.