Board evaluates semester goals

To showers of giggles and a few stumbles over words such as "efficacy" and "utilization," Duke University Union board members read aloud the organization's goals up to next year at their weekly meeting Tuesday night.

Some of the Union's goals for the upcoming semester that members suggested in evaluations last week include to "promote the DUU brand as a fully-loaded brand" and increase transparency. DUU President Chamindra Goonewardene, a senior, had members read the goals aloud to make them sink in.

"This is basically where you guys want us to be going," he said. "This is not just about this year."

Members hope to improve the Union so that the organization will be a model for student unions at other universities.

The board also heard a funding proposal from Last Day of Classes Chair Meredith Estren, a senior. Estren distributed the proposal for Union members to consider, which Goonewardene declined to give to The Chronicle. Last year, DUU granted $25,000 to the LDOC committee.

Also at the meeting, junior Christie Falco, DUU Special Projects co-director, said the Yule Ball held Saturday evening was a success.

"We had about 400 people come out, so it was a good turnout," she said.

Falco added that her committee is working to put a new spin on the annual Duke Royale party scheduled for April, though she did not specify details of the new plans.

In other business:

Campus Concert Series Chair Corina Apostol, a senior, said her committee is working to organize a Battle of the Bands for March 21, 2009. They plan to team with the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.

Other DUU programming in the works includes an event for students to break a world record and a contest for the most spirited Blue Devil, Falco said.

Goonewardene also said DUU hopes to collaborate with the Durham Performing Arts Center, which is scheduled to open next Thursday. He said he is excited that the center's programming lineup next semester will bring big-name acts to Durham.

Share and discuss “Board evaluates semester goals” on social media.