Admins talk to neighbors about noise

Representatives from the Trinity Heights Neighborhood Association and Duke administrators discussed the efficacy of educational programs for off-campus students during their final meeting of the semester Thursday.

The educational programs would inform students of appropriate behaviors for off-campus living in order to reduce noise and student partying, which have prompted complaints from neighbors.

"Today's meeting was focused on reviewing the alcohol policies and the educational and informational procedures for students living off campus," Dean of Students Sue Wasiolek said. "The question is, 'What information are we providing to students who are living off campus?'"

No formal educational program is provided, Wasiolek said, adding that administrators and Trinity Heights residents are not necessarily looking to create one.

The Trinity Heights Neighborhood Association-which noted an uptick in noise after the University acquired several houses in a nearby area in 2006-will meet before January to write up final recommendations regarding Duke's off-campus policies, which members will present to University administrators at the beginning of next semester.

Thursday's meeting, which lasted nearly two hours, included student representation to help the group better understand the need to inform students of appropriate places to party.

"There are a lot of places off campus to have parties... that aren't residential neighborhoods with small children living there," sophomore Andrew Brown, Duke Student Government's vice president for Durham and regional affairs, said in an interview. Brown did not attend the meeting.

Residents in the Trinity Heights neighborhood have seen an improvement this school year in the amount of noise from students living in the area, said Christine Westfall, a Trinity Heights resident, who requested the initial Sept. 3 meeting with Duke officials.

"I believe the increased interest caused by our meetings have led students to be more aware of the noise they are making," she said.

Share and discuss “Admins talk to neighbors about noise” on social media.