Prof passes away after heart attack

Albert Loro, assistant professor of medical psychology, died from a heart attack Thursday morning. He was 59.

"He was a very well-liked person. He was at Duke for many, many years," said Richard Surwit, chief of the division of medical psychology. "He was one of our pioneering behavior therapists when it was something that was relatively unusual. He was one of the first people who introduced [behavioral therapy] at Duke."

Loro was playing racquetball with colleague Jack Edinger, a professor of medical psychiatry, in the Wilson Recreation Center when he had the attack. A call was placed to Duke Emergency Medical Services at 6:49 a.m., said Soren Nelson, assistant director of recreational facilities, and EMS and Duke University Police Department officials arrived shortly after.

A regular raquetball player, Loro was in good physical shape, and the attack was unexpected, Surwit said.

Loro is survived by his wife and two daughters, one who is a senior at Duke and another who graduated last year.

Loro conducted research at the Durham Veterans Affairs Medical Center, and most recently focused on behavioral treatment for alcohol and drug abuse. The medical psychology department and the School of Medicine were notified of his passing via e-mail.

DUPD Maj. Gloria Graham declined to comment.

Share and discuss “Prof passes away after heart attack” on social media.