LET THE GAMES BEGIN

After Nolan Smith's up-and-down freshman season, questions lingered about the sophomore point guard's ability to effectively lead the Duke offense.

His performance Saturd.ay in Duke's Blue-White scrimmage in Cameron Indoor Stadium may have put those doubts to rest-at least for the time being.

Smith shined in the team's unofficial season opener, leading both of his squads to victory as the Blue Devils played two 15-minute mini-games within the scrimmage, each resembling a mock second half with the score starting at 45-45.

"I thought Nolan played as well as anyone," head coach Mike Krzyzewski said. "He played really well in the first group complementing those three kids [Gerald Henderson, Jon Scheyer and Kyle Singler]. In the second half, he stepped it up because he wasn't with them, and he showed really good leadership and defense."

Smith's defense, combined with that of senior Dave McClure and freshman Miles Plumlee, helped to slow the trio of Henderson, Scheyer and Singler in the second half, as the Blue Team of Smith, McClure and Plumlee won 79-70. The White team-composed of Duke's likely projected starters-shot 33.3 percent from the field, including a 20-percent clip from 3-point range.

Smith and senior Jordan Davidson ran a two-point-guard set for much of the half-with the pair alternating as point guard and shooting guard-as they combined for six assists and only three turnovers.

It's an option that Smith hinted Duke may use during the season with senior co-captain Greg Paulus replacing Davidson.

"The two point guard gives us a look," he said. "The point guard spot for us has to push the ball, and there's times where Greg and I might get tired pushing the ball, so if we're both playing the same time, we can give each other a rest. Greg can play the '2,' I can play the '2' and it's just good having so many bodies doing multiple things on the court."

Marty Pocius also gave an offensive boost to the Blue team. The redshirt junior, returning from season-ending ankle surgery, tied Smith for the scoring lead with 11 in the second period. He had a fast-break dunk and a 3-pointer in a critical 11-2 run that turned a one-point deficit into an eight-point lead that the Blue team would never relinquish.

But even Pocius' scoring exploits couldn't compare to the offensive firepower displayed in the first period.

The White team-led by Duke's big three of Henderson, Scheyer and Singler-scored an astounding 52 points in 15 minutes to run away with the opening game, 97-74. Henderson had a brilliant performance, finishing 4-for-4 from the field and 7-for-7 from the foul line to score 16 points. He led all Duke scorers with 23 points on the afternoon.

Guarding Henderson was an unenviable matchup for Elliot Williams in his first game, as the freshman struggled to contain the junior in the first half and Smith in the second half. Fellow freshman Olek Czyz saw limited action in both halves.

Plumlee had the most impressive debut of the first-year players, scoring eight points on 4-of-6 shooting in 22 minutes.

"Right off the bat, I hit [Plumlee] with a pass right down the lane," Smith said. "Some regular freshman, they might have bobbled the ball from the excitement. But no, he kept his composure, finished it and was on to the next play."

But despite the strong efforts of Plumlee, Pocius and even McClure, Smith was the star of the afternoon. Krzyzewski was especially pleased with the sophomore's leadership after noting that Smith lost some of his swagger as a freshman.

That wasn't a problem on Saturday, though, especially on Smith's last basket of the game. With the Blue team nursing a three-point lead in the second, he knocked down a 3-pointer with just under a minute and a half remaining to all but secure the victory, and then cocked his head at the White team to reiterate the point.

Duke could use some of that same attitude from Smith when he struts against a squad that isn't made up of his teammates.

Share and discuss “LET THE GAMES BEGIN” on social media.