editor's note

Because of the success of political commentary in this space-especially among members of the Duke Conservative Union-we've decided to bring it back this week. If you're an average Duke student, you probably got wasted playing debate-themed drinking games ("Maverick!"), so for the blacked-out, here's a recap of the key moments in the night:

9:16 p.m. Obama uses the word "profligate." English majors and elitists everywhere sigh in ecstasy.

9:17 p.m. McCain argues his spending freeze uses a hatchet, and then a scalpel. We're pretty sure we saw that one last season on Grey's.

9:20 p.m. McCain: "Senator Obama, if you wanted to run against President Bush, you should have run four years ago." He then points to the sky and says "Count it!"

9:24 p.m. Bob Schieffer looks like a leprechaun.

9:30 p.m. McCain has been fascinated by his Sharpie for four minutes... and counting.

9:35 p.m. McCain argues that A.C.O.R.N. is "destroying the fabric of democracy." Someone here is a nut (for the record, recess endorsed Barack Obama last spring, so we're bound to follow editorial policy).

9:37 p.m. McCain gets Barack-rolled.

9:40 p.m. Schieffer asks why each candidate's running mate would be better than the other. Gleeful Democratic audiences wonder where Obama will start.

9:47 p.m. McCain says we can end our dependence on Middle Eastern and Venezuelan oil within his first term.

9:54 p.m. Apparently automakers are "getting hammered right now," possibly because of McCain's oil pledge. Still, road trip to Detroit, anyone? Perhaps Duke grad Rick Wagoner would let us crash at his house... or on the floor of a shuttered factory...

10:04 p.m. Who would win in a fight between Joe Plumber and Joe Sixpack?

10:08 p.m. "Now, Bob, I'm not wearing pants right now," says Barack Obama.

10:09 p.m. "And neither am I," says McCain.

10:10 p.m. A vigorous boxers, briefs or adult diapers debate ensues. The CNN undecided Ohio voter graph is starting to look like the Dow Jones Industrial Average.

10:31 p.m. Bob says voting will make us feel "big and strong." Particularly if we're not wearing pants.

Share and discuss “editor's note” on social media.