DukeEngage releases list of programs

Hopeful DukeEngagers must no longer hold their breath-the list of group program sites for this summer was made available Wednesday, with some changes in store.

A total of 30 programs in 21 countries are planned-including seven in the United States-compared to 26 programs offered last year. Programs that have been axed include one each in Bangladesh, Ghana, Peru, Turkey and Uganda as well as two sites in India.

New programs that have been added to this year's list include three domestic and nine international programs-five of which are in Africa.

"With 30 program offerings crossing myriad areas of civic engagement next summer, we trust that students interested in doing a DukeEngage experience will find a good fit either domestically or internationally," DukeEngage's Director of Communications Eric Van Danen wrote in an e-mail.

A number of programs, most of which are based in Latin America, require language proficiency. Van Danen said the number of such programs-seven of 30-roughly compares proportionally to the number offered last year.

The application deadline for group programs is Dec. 15, and students must apply to one international and one domestic site. DukeEngage will be able to accommodate more than 300 participants this summer.

Share and discuss “DukeEngage releases list of programs” on social media.