Wii finds use in physical therapy

Adolescents across the country can now feasibly argue with their parents to allow them to play video games more often, as new methods of physical therapy are integrating consoles like the Nintendo Wii into their treatment.

The revolutionary video game system transcends using the traditional handheld controller and instead engages its users in physical activity by simulating sports such as tennis and bowling. This new method of "wiihabilitation" is gaining popularity as a supplement to conventional physical therapy.

"Because it simulates some sports activities, it can allow individuals to participate in some of the beneficial aspects of a sport even if they have don't have the coordination to participate fully in the sport," said Laura Case, a clinical associate who teaches courses in Duke's Doctor of Physical Therapy Program. "It gives patients the opportunity to compete in a skilled activity and opens up the window into the world of sports that might not be possible."

Eighteen-year-old Michael Dennos has become an example of success when it comes to using the Wii for physical rehabilitation. Born with cerebral palsy, which has prevented normal motor control in all four limbs as well as hindered his ability to walk and speak properly, Michael has been undergoing conventional physical therapy since the tender age of four months.

He began using the Wii last fall, when he was participating as a volunteer patient for a class of Duke PT students led by Case. During a session, one of the students suggested trying a Wii as part of the therapy.

"Michael enjoyed the game and was actually able to be successful with it, as it uses large muscles rather than the fine motor control required by traditional game systems which use hand-held controllers," Michael's mother Patricia Dennos said.

Case and her students were so impressed with Michael's positive response to the Wii that not only did they order a Wii for Case's department, but they also purchased a Wii for Michael to take to college and presented it to him last Christmas.

Michael continued to use the Wii throughout the spring and summer.

"I think it helps him with his balance as well as his endurance," Mrs. Dennos said.

PT doctoral candidate Tyler Anthony, one of Cases's students who worked closely with Michael, said the Wii is a fitting challenge for Michael.

"[When] throwing the controller around he also has to maintain his balance. It has helped him develop the proper reflexes and fine tune different types of mechanisms that can help him maintain his balance through weight shifting," Anthony said.

Michael enjoys playing a variety of games on the Wii, particularly the ones with "big" motions, as Mrs. Dennos puts it, such as Wii Tennis and a sword-fighting game based on the Pirates of the Caribbean movie.

In addition to the physical independence that Michael has attained from using the Wii, he has also experienced the psychological benefits from the interactive video games.

"It's very enjoyable and can have a very nice social aspect to it," Case said.

The Wii allows pediatric patients to feel a sense a normalcy, Anthony said.

"Psychologically, [deviating] from conventional physical therapy was great for him-he feels like he can do the same things that other people can do, and he doesn't feel like anything is holding him back."

Although exercising with the Wii doesn't replace traditional physical therapy, it is a "fun supplement," Anthony said.

A "wiivolution" shows promise of becoming a vital instrument in home-based health care, and experts predict that the Wii will become more prevalent among physical therapy patients.

"I think the Wii would be beneficial to other pediatric patients, as well as adults, since it combines fun with therapy," Mrs. Dennos said.

Share and discuss “Wii finds use in physical therapy” on social media.