Panda drawing mixed feedback

A record-breaking number of students chowed down at Panda Express for its opening this week, filling their bellies with Chinese fare of delectable taste but debatable nutritional value.

Nearly 1,200 patrons filed into the restaurant Monday, generating some of the biggest opening-day sales numbers in the history of Panda Express, Director of Dining Services Jim Wulforst said.

"They broke all records for Panda store openings of the size," he said.

Panda Express Manager Tony Luo said the Chinese food his restaurant serves is nutritious.

"Our entrees are very healthy," he said. "We add no MSG and use only soy bean oil when we cook, which has no trans fat."

The caloric content of a typical Panda Express meal, however, has raised the eyebrows of some students. A plate with orange chicken, sweet and sour pork and chow mein-a standard meal at the restaurant-contains approximately 1,290 calories, according to the company's Web site.

McDonalds' Big Mac meal, consisting of a Big Mac hamburger and a medium order of French fries, has approximately 920 calories.

But Wulforst said he does not think meals at Panda Express will have an adverse effect on students' waistlines.

"What's the definition of healthy? That's so subjective," he said. "Some athletes need 5,000 calories to keep the weight on."

The cooking process at Panda Express has come under fire by some vegetarian students. Although Panda Express' Web site states that the restaurant does not offer vegetarian meals because all entrees are cooked in a chicken base, Luo said his diner does not use a meat base but also does not differentiate woks for meat and non-meat items.

"The thought of eating something's flesh, or something covered in the juices of that flesh, is just gross," said freshman Sarah Boltuck, who is vegetarian.

But Wulforst said students should not worry about meat mixing with vegetarian dishes, noting that the appliances are rinsed between uses.

"There is no better way to sanitize a wok than to put it under that much heat," he said.

Students curious to know how the new restaurant on the West Campus Plaza measures up to its peers will find themselves out of luck. To date, only The Loop, Alpine Atrium and national chain restaurants such as McDonald's, Subway and Chick-fil-A have publicized the nutritional content of their dishes. The information is available on the restaurants' Web sites.

Dining Services is working to make the nutritional content of more restaurants' fare available to students, said Franca Alphin, director of health promotion at Duke Student Health.

"We do want to provide it, as long as we know it's accurate, and we are working with our vendors to make that happen," she said. "There are many other ways that one can eat healthy rather than relying on nutrition information."

Some students have expressed disappointment that a more culturally authentic Chinese diner was not brought to Duke instead of a national chain. Sit-down restaurant Lemon Grass was originally slated for the space in the Bryan Center but backed out in June.

"I couldn't get Lemon Grass," Wulforst said. "They were ready, willing and able, but they needed 3,000 square feet. We would have had to put the kitchen downstairs, but the cost became too high."

Share and discuss “Panda drawing mixed feedback” on social media.