Brickey Joins McCallie's Program

Former Duke basketball star and Shaw head coach Robert Brickey has signed on with Joanne P. McCallie to be the women's basketball program's assistant director of basketball operations, McCallie announced in a statement Monday. Brickey was released from Shaw in March when his contract was not renewed.

Before taking the helm at Shaw, Brickey was an assistant at James Madison, Southern Methodist and Army. He also served as the athletic department's community outreach coordinator in 1999. In his new role, he will coordinate off-campus camps, on-campus recruiting and marketing efforts—all part of the program's push for greater recognition.

"Robert's passion for Duke is totally motivating to all of us here," McCallie said in a statement. "Having the opportunity for him to work with our student-athletes and allow them to glean from his experiences at Duke as a student-athlete and somebody who has pursued the highest level, will be excellent for our program."

Brickey graduated from Duke in 1990 after a four-year career playing for Mike Krzyzewski. He led the Blue Devils to three Final Fours, including a national championship appearance in 1990, when he was a team captain. He brought his Shaw teams to Cameron Indoor Stadium for preseason games the last two seasons.

—by Ben Cohen

Share and discuss “Brickey Joins McCallie's Program” on social media.