Streelman, Ogilvie Survive U.S. Open Cut

Kevin Streelman's 15 minutes of fame lasted one night. The former Blue Devil who held the lead of the U.S. open after the first round Thursday shot a 6-over 77 to finish the second round 3-over and tied for 22nd. Torrey Pines played tough--knee-high rough and unwatered greens can add teeth to the home of the Buick Invitational--and Tiger Woods (surprise!) moved a day early, firing a 3-under, good for a tie for second.

Joe Ogilvie, a 1996 graduate, shot a 5-over after an even-par round Thursday to make the cut (which was 7-over), as well.

Streelman graduated in 2001 and earned his PGA Tour card in December. He was in the final group of the third round of the Buick back in January, so he knows Torrey Pines well. (For the record, Streelman was a 66-to-1 bet to win the tournament after Thursday. He's now part of the field, at 3-to-1. Should've wagered on him last night.)

Duke senior Michael Quagliano, an amateur who made the field through sectional qualifying, shot a 10-over Friday, improving five strokes from his 15-over Thursday. He did not make the cut, but it's obvious that he has plenty of stories to tell. Check out his diary over at mgagolf.org, and be sure to read a story about him in The Chronicle Thursday.

Check back over the weekend to see how Streelman and Ogilvie perform with half the field gone and Tiger donning red.

--by Ben Cohen

Share and discuss “Streelman, Ogilvie Survive U.S. Open Cut” on social media.