The independent news organization of Duke University

New York Times Ranks Duke No. 108

Over at The New York Times' excellent college sports blog, The Quad, the authors have been counting down Division-I football teams, from the bottom up. On Tuesday, the countdown hit No. 108: Duke.

"Duke football is the Quasimodo to Duke basketball's Esmeralda, a yearly embarrassment for a university that seems to do everything else right," writes Paul Myerberg. "However, good news is on the horizon: hiring the new coach David Cutcliffe to replace the eternally outmanned Ted Roof was a coup. Cutcliffe knows what it takes to win in a major conference as an underdog from his time at Mississippi...Nobody expects a miracle, but at least the potential is there again for Duke to challenge for a winning season."

Duke's players to watch? Wide receiver Eron Riley, quarterback Thaddeus Lewis, middle linebacker Michael Tauiliili and defensive tackle Vince Oghobaase. The Quad predicts a 3-9 season for the Blue Devils, with its "dream season" at 4-8 and its "nightmare" season at 1-11. As we wrote earlier, we'll save our football predictions for August, but the "dream" season is probably more successful than 4-8, and the "nightmare" season is, well, 0-12--but that's unlikely.

One point of contention: if Duke finishes 3-9, wouldn't it be ranked higher than No. 108?

--by Ben Cohen

Share and discuss “New York Times Ranks Duke No. 108” on social media.