Goodbye, farewell and amen

Today marks my 58th-and final-Chronicle column as a Duke undergrad.

Writing 45,240 words over four semesters (yes, I counted) hasn't always been fun, and it certainly hasn't been easy. I've watched many a post-deadline sunrise, and this week was no exception (sorry Ryan).

But being a columnist has also been a singular honor, and today I write to acknowledge that. For two years now, I have been privileged to work alongside a group of dedicated (and often anonymous) copyeditors, over-editors and correspondents, all of whom have worked long, tedious hours to bring my words to print. I am extraordinarily grateful for their sacrifices.

Moreover, I'm proud to say The Chronicle has given direction and focus to my once aimless tenure at Duke-which took me from biomedical engineer to pubpol student to English major in under three semesters-and this experience left me with a new (and unexpected) set of professional ambitions.

That's a pretty fantastic deal when you realize I originally applied for this job because I lost a bet.

But as I reflect on my last 57 efforts, many of which offered blistering critiques of Duke administrators and Durham officials, I wonder if the real reason I put pen to paper (or fingertip to keyboard, I suppose) each week has always come through.

So for my parting words, I thought I'd reiterate what I hope has been obvious all along: I love Duke with all my heart and soul, and every word I've written-from the fiercest denunciation to the mildest critique-represents an honest attempt to better this University.

Believe it or not, blasting Duke and Durham officials week after week has brought me no joy. (OK, there were a few times when it was a little fun.)

But I believe the seriousness of the issues I've dealt with-discriminatory, incompetent police work; racist land restrictions; contaminated water; zoning boondoggles; discriminatory health care practices; and financial and administrative opacity, among others -demanded a strong, aggressive approach, and I regret that I haven't had more success in encouraging reform.

There is no question that my efforts were often imperfect or inadequate, and in retrospect I'd do lots of things differently. But I do hope readers have sensed that my contributions were always well intended, and that Duke remains my city on a hill.

As we near the end, I find myself returning to my very first column, which laid out my goals as a weekly writer. There, I argued that although "the past five months [dating to March 2006] have certainly been unpleasant... the next five months are filled with possibilities" and that it "is our privilege, our opportunity, and our responsibility" to be members of the Duke community.

I think the Class of 2008 has lived up to that standard, and I hope that the tumult and drama of our undergraduate experience will translate into a lasting tradition of service to this University. With several bitterly divisive lawsuits pending, a resurgence in police misconduct and the planning and construction of the new Central on the horizon, our input and institutional memory will be greatly needed.

Indeed, we may be graduating in less than two weeks, but the real work is only just beginning.

Meanwhile, I thank you readers for your feedback and support over the past two years. You have made my job a privilege.

Kristin Butler is a Trinity senior. This is her final column.

Share and discuss “Goodbye, farewell and amen” on social media.