DPD arrests 12 at site of drug raid

Twelve students were arrested and seven were given citations at an off-campus house late Thursday night.

Officers from both the Duke University and Durham police departments responded to a call at 11:43 p.m. complaining of a noise violation in 1026 W. Trinity Ave. When they arrived on the scene, officers identified underage drinking and saw students attempting to run out the back entrance of the house, said DPD Lt. Robert McLaughlin, who was on the scene.

The students slammed the front door on officers and began to run, he said. Some also threw bottles at officers and verbally abused them when they attempted to pursue them. Officers eventually gathered the students, issuing arrests to those who attempted to resist officers and citations to those who had been drinking underage but did not attempt to run.

The students who hosted the party-at least some of whom are over 21-were arrested for aiding and abetting underage drinking.

Two or three cars responded to the call but more joined when officers realized they needed help rounding up students, McLaughlin said.

DUPD and DPD officials did not release the names of the students early Friday morning.

A resident of the same house was arrested Feb. 29 on charges of trafficking 27 pounds of marijuana. All charges against the student were subsequently dropped.

Wenjia Zhang contributed to this story.

Share and discuss “DPD arrests 12 at site of drug raid” on social media.