College hoops honors announced Monday

Duke legends Christian Laettner, Bobby Hurley and head coach Mike Krzyzewski added yet another accolade to their distinguished lists of awards yesterday, as CBS Sportsline named Laettner and Hurley to the All-time NCAA Tournament first team and Krzyzewski to the second.

Laettner and Hurley were the only two players from the same school to earn spots on the first team, and UCLA was the next most honored with former player Bill Walton and head coach John Wooden. The top six were rounded out by Princeton's Bill Bradley, Notre Dame's Austin Carr and Cincinnati's Oscar Robertson.

Laettner earned three All-America selections while leading Duke to a quartet of Final Fours and back-to-back National Championships in 1991 and 1992. The forward has gone down in NCAA history not only for his famous turnaround 16-footer to beat Kentucky at the buzzer in the 1992 East Regional Finals, but also for his NCAA tournament records--most points (407), free throws made (142), free throws attempted (167), games played (23) and wins (21).

Hurley, a two-time All-American, steered Duke to three Final Fours and consecutive national titles. He also was named as the tournament MOP in 1992. The point guard holds the NCAA Tournament records for assists and 3-point field goals with 145 and 42, respectively.

Krzyzewski-who ranks second only to Wooden in Tournament winning percentage with 76.7-has led the Blue Devils to 24 big dances and three National Championships in 1991, 1992 and 2001 in his 28- year tenure at Duke.

Share and discuss “College hoops honors announced Monday” on social media.